
Omaha Mayor Suttle with Council Bluffs Mayor Hanafan, Bellevue Mayor Sanders, Nick Yaksich of Kids Against Hunger, and representatives from the Salvation Army, Together, Inc, and Heartland Hope Mission
February 16, 2012: This morning, Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle joined Mayors Rita Sanders of Bellevue and Tom Hanafan of Council Bluffs as well as Nick Yaksich of Kids Against Hunger, and representatives from Salvation Army, Together, Inc., and Heartland Hope Mission in kicking off Kids Against Hungers’ Million Meal March.
The event, which takes place March 3rd at the CenturyLink Center, will package one million meals for needy families across the globe. At least 300,000 of those meals will be delivered to Omahans in need.
“Last year, when floods and droughts caused national food suppliers to skip deliveries to local pantries, the community came together, and we worked with the public, private and non-profit sectors to bring nutritious meals to those in need,” said Mayor Suttle. “I am confident the people of Omaha will come through once again, and make this event a success.”
“The March 3rd event brings together metropolitan Omaha to fight hunger locally and around the world,” said Nick Yaksich, Co-Founder of Kids Against Hunger. “This is a collaborative effort in which so much of Omaha from city officials to nonprofits to corporations came together to fight hunger. Kids Against Hunger is proud to create an event that feeds so many people. We have tremendous support but still need people coming forward to sponsor and volunteer.”
“Our efforts do not end after March 3rd,” added Mayor Suttle. “We will continue to build partnerships within the community and work together to ensure that all kids in Omaha have can enjoy a healthy meal.”
For more information on the Kids Against Hunger Million Meal March, please visit www.omahakah.com
