@jimsuttle
Get Updates:

Featured Archive

Mayor Suttle Joins Distinguished Business and Community Leaders in Announcing a New Partnership to Aid Homeless Veterans


May 1, 2012

Mayor Suttle Helps Kick Off the Vets Town Initiative

Mayor Suttle Helps Kick Off the Vets Town Initiative

May 1, 2012 – Today, Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle joined Mike Fornear of the Homeless Veterans Project and various leaders in Nebraska’s civic and business communities in announcing a new partnership aimed at assisting homeless veterans.

The project, entitled “Vets Town”, is the first of its kind in the country. It seeks to provide housing and job skills to homeless veterans from the Omaha metro area and throughout the country. Modeled after Boys Town, it is currently seeking donations to acquire a permanent facility in Omaha. University of Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne will serve as President of the Board of Governors for the project.

There are currently about 1500 homeless veterans in Nebraska and approximately 200,000 nationwide. “On average, we have 123 homeless veterans on any given night in Omaha and we have an obligation assist those who have given so much to preserve our freedom,” said Mayor Suttle. “I am excited to see the City of Omaha lead the way nationally on this important issue, and I hope that this model will serve as a blueprint for communities throughout the nation.”


Mayor Jim Suttle and the Empowerment Network Gain Business and Community and Support for Summer Employment


April 26, 2012

Mayor Jim Suttle and Willie Barney of the Empowerment Network Answered Questions About the Step-Up Omaha Summer Jobs Program

Mayor Jim Suttle and Willie Barney of the Empowerment Network Answered Questions About the Step-Up Omaha Summer Jobs Program

April 23rd, 2012 — Mayor Suttle and the Empowerment Network announced today that the response from Omaha’s business and philanthropic community to help match $300,000 the City contributed to Step Up jobs program with an additional $600,000 has been excellent.

“We are pleased to report that we have raised $400,000 toward our goal,” said Mayor Jim Suttle. “This city’s community partners understand the importance of getting our young people trained for valuable workplace experiences during the summer months and beyond. It’s how we curb violence in our community and how we provide kids hope for a productive and prosperous future.”

“The businesses and foundations that have chosen to support the Summer Training Employment Pathway and Urban Pipeline, the “StepUp” program, will provide a structured alternative to negative activity on the streets and deters young people from the temptation of gangs and guns,” said Willie Barney, President of the Empowerment Network. “We are pleased with the businesses and philanthropists who have Stepped-Up on behalf of the young people in our city and our future work force. Their financial contributions will pay for training, work experience and eventually full-time jobs that will benefit our youth and make a huge difference in their lives now and in the future.”

More than 20 companies have made cash or job contributions totally $400,000 in the last month. They include; American National Bank, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Lindsay Manufacturing, Woodmen of the World, ConAgra Foods, Pinnacle Bank, AT&T, Coventry, UPS, Omaha Steaks , Cox Communications, Wells Fargo Bank, Physicians Mutual, Security National Bank, American Harvest, Max I Walker, three foundations and a number of non-profits. There are also proposals pending.

“We are hoping more businesses and community leaders will consider investing so we can reach close to a million dollars and provide employment opportunities for 500-700 young people in Omaha,” said Mayor Suttle. “Our City is dependent on the success of our young people and we must make sure they are given every chance to gain the skills necessary for a successful career, particularly in areas of high unemployment.”


Mayor Suttle Joins UNO, Salvation Army in New Partnership to Combat Hunger


April 13, 2012

Mayor Suttle joins with Susan Eustice of the Salvation Army, and representatives from UNO to announce their partnership for the Just Can It food drive.

Mayor Suttle joins with Susan Eustice of the Salvation Army, and representatives from UNO to announce their partnership for the Just Can It food drive.

April 13, 2012: This morning, Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle joined representatives of the Salvation Army, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity in announcing a new partnership to combat hunger in Omaha.

For the first time in the City’s history, Omaha will be participating in the “Just Can It” food drive sponsored by the Salvation Army and UNO. As part of the City’s “Tuna Tuesday” campaign, which began last year, the City will be placing collection bins on each floor of City Hall, Police and Fire Stations, and the Clerk of the District Court’s office to collect food for the “Just Can It” campaign. The collection bins will be in place starting April 16 through the end of the month.

“This is the sixth press conference that I have held in the last year regarding the need for healthy, accessible food,” said Mayor Suttle. “That is no accident. We must do all we can to come together for our children. Poverty and hunger have no geography, no race, and no agenda. As a City, we have an obligation to help those in need.”

“Partnerships like this one, between the Salvation Army, the Mayor’s Office, UNO, and Pi Kappa Alpha to provide food to those in need is a great example of how we can eradicate hunger in this city by working together,” said Craig Howell, the City’s Chief Service Officer.


MAYOR SUTTLE ANNOUNCES NEW WALMART SUPERCENTER AT 50th and AMES


April 9, 2012

Mayor Suttle, along with Jim Canney of Walmart, David Brown of the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, State Senator Brenda Council, Councilman Ben Gray and others, announce the new Walmart Supercenter to be built at 50th & Ames

Mayor Suttle, along with Jim Canney of Walmart, David Brown of the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, State Senator Brenda Council, Councilman Ben Gray and others, announce the new Walmart Supercenter to be built at 50th & Ames

April, 9, 2012 — Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle was joined this morning by public officials, community and neighborhood organizations, business representatives, as well as the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce in welcoming Walmart representatives and their plans for a new full-service store at 50th and Ames. The new Walmart will feature fresh, affordable food and general merchandise under one roof. It will not only create a shopping destination, but will also have a positive economic impact on the entire North Omaha community. If approved by the City Council, doors are expected to open for this store by late Fall and create approximately 275 new jobs.

“We are excited that Walmart is opening a new store in North Omaha,” said Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle. “It fills a tremendous retail and grocery need in addition to providing new employment opportunities in an area of our community where the demand for all of these needs is great.”

The store will be approximately 184,000 square feet, including an outdoor garden center, and feature everyday household items, electronics, apparel and a pharmacy, as well as a full line of groceries with fresh produce, meat and dairy products, a bakery and deli. The new Walmart will be a part of the shopping center on the northwest corner of 50th & Ames Streets. The new Walmart will replace the old Baker’s Supermarket and the existing Family Dollar Store.

“Our store is perfect for this community by providing a one-stop shopping destination where Omaha customers can find familiar brands and fresh and affordable food choices at a great value,” said Jim Canney, regional general manager for Walmart stores in Omaha. “We look forward to providing job opportunities and career choices, from seniors looking for supplemental income to young people wanting to gain work experience to associates looking to build a career.

Walmart jobs are good jobs – offering competitive wages and benefits, and opportunities to build careers. Nearly 75 percent of Walmart’s store management team joined the company as hourly associates. In 2010, more than 146,000 hourly associates in Walmart U.S. stores received promotions, and 55 percent of those associates were women.

“The Greater Omaha Chamber’s business development team has remained in contact with Wal-Mart for a number of years from a number of angles,” said Chamber President and CEO David G. Brown. “We worked with them as they considered various potential sites in North Omaha and we worked with the current property owners on several possible business investment projects. It is so rewarding to see all of the pieces coming together with jobs, significant investment and retail coming to North Omaha.”

Potential job seekers can visit www.walmartstores.com/careers for additional information on Walmart’s career opportunities in the area. The retailer will also create numerous temporary jobs during the store’s construction phase.

As of January 31, 2012, the total number of Walmart associates in Nebraska was 10,631 with the average wage for a regular, full-time hourly associate at $11.87 per hour.

About Walmart
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 28 countries. With fiscal year 2011 sales of $419 billion, Walmart employs 2.2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.


Mayor Suttle Unveils New Task Force To Remove Guns from Omaha Streets


March 28, 2012

Citizen Task Force Members Alberto Gonzales and Barbara Robinson Stand Behind Mayor Jim Suttle As He Announces the New Illegal Gun Task Force, With Councilman Ben Gray and Jonathan Crosby of the City Prosecutor's Office

Citizen Task Force Members Alberto Gonzales and Barbara Robinson Stand Behind Mayor Jim Suttle As He Announces the New Illegal Gun Task Force, With Councilman Ben Gray and Jonathan Crosby of the City Prosecutor's Office

March 28, 2012 – Mayor Jim Suttle unveiled the second of two initiatives to assist in addressing crime in Omaha today. The Mayor issued an executive order establishing a special task force to expand the City’s ongoing search for innovative ways to reduce violent crimes and homicides by removing illegal guns from Omaha streets.

The group will be asked to study “best practices” from comparable cities across the country, find ways of improving communication between city officials, prosecutors, law enforcement, and the public on what is being done to make our streets safer, and aggressively prosecute first offense misdemeanors for illegal gun possession or use in criminal activity. They will also be looking at advanced reporting of illegal guns through new technology, which can lead to more arrests, and potential legislation mandating harsher penalties for those who sell or use illegal guns.

“The task force is composed of professionals in City government, elected officials, and citizens who will assist already established law enforcement coalitions and community organizations to see if there are new ways to remove illegal guns from our streets,” said Marty Conboy, Prosecutor.

“The goal of this task force is to help existing groups promote what is working and broaden our search for new methods of combating gun violence in our community,” added Mayor Suttle.

The task force includes; Mayor Jim Suttle, District 2 City Councilmember Ben Gray, District 4 City Councilmember Garry Gernandt, Special City Prosecutor Jonathan Crosby, Omaha Police Department Captain Russell Horine, and three citizens: Barbara Robinson, Alberto Gonzales, and Primus Jones.


Mayor Suttle Unveils Initiative on Chronic Code Violations by Landlords


March 21, 2012

Interim Police Chief David Baker, City Prosecutor Marty Conboy, Jennifer Taylor, Mayor Suttle, Mike Battershell, Special Prosecutor Mike Getty, and Carl Christian, announce a new task force dealing with chronic code violations.

Interim Police Chief David Baker, City Prosecutor Marty Conboy, Jennifer Taylor, Mayor Suttle, Mike Battershell, Special Prosecutor Mike Getty, and Carl Christian, announce a new task force dealing with chronic code violations.

March 21, 2012 - Mayor Jim Suttle unveiled the first of two initiatives to assist in addressing crime in Omaha today. The Mayor issued an executive order establishing a special task force dealing with chronic code violations by landlords. The group is being asked to find ways of achieving safe, sanitary housing by identifying and solving problems created by landlords with significant building code violations.

"This problem was brought to our attention by neighborhood associations who had concerns about crime in areas with substandard housing," said Mayor Suttle. "Criminal activity tends to occur in areas where landlords neglect their property and have major building code violations. Like any business, landowners who rent property to others should meet basic legal standards to ensure safety in all neighborhoods."

"The task force is designed to bring law enforcement, elected officials and citizens together to find answers," said Marty Conboy, City Prosecutor. "By targeting problem properties in the city, we can work with landlords to comply with building codes or more aggressively prosecute those unwilling to cooperate."

The task force includes; Mayor Jim Suttle, District 2 City Councilmember Ben Gray, District 4 City Councilmember Garry Gernandt, Special City Prosecutor, Mike Getty, Special OPD Investigator, Officer James Stokes, Planning Department Chief Code Enforcement Inspector, Kevin Denker as well as three citizen members, Mike Battershell, Carl Christian, and Jennifer Taylor.

The group will identify landlords with chronic code violations in the city, establish a system for working with them to bring problem properties up to code using existing resources, and more aggressively prosecute landlords who refuse to correct code violations.

The group will submit a plan of action to the Mayor in 90 days.