December 16, 2011
Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler and Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle today signed an inter-local agreement to launch the next phase of the reEnergize Program, a community initiative to promote energy efficiency. In April 2010, this collaborative effort between Nebraska’s two largest cities was one of 25 pilot projects to be awarded a $10 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy through its Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant competitive program.
Most of the funds are being used for energy efficiency upgrades in existing buildings in targeted areas of the communities. Working with community partners, reEnergize uses a public-private strategy to focus on overcoming three major barriers to growth in the Lincoln-Omaha market: access to consumer information, access to a skilled workforce and access to financing opportunities.
“We want to remind homeowners, businesses and residents in our two cities that now is the time to sign up to take advantage of what the reEnergize program offers for saving energy, putting money in people’s pockets, creating local jobs and reducing our long-term energy needs,” Beutler said. “A particularly exciting part of this program is how Lincoln and Omaha are working together to help build the local market for energy efficiency upgrades.”
The program was launched in Omaha in January, and this agreement opens the same opportunity for Lincoln homeowners and businesses. (City employees are not eligible.) The program is first available to those in “Start Zones,” which were selected for their range of income levels, mix of ownership and rentals, concentration of older buildings and level of community engagement. In Omaha, about 500 residents have signed up so far.
“The reEnergize program encourages energy savings with expert technical assistance, streamlined contracting services and financial incentives available to homeowners,” Suttle said. “The reEnergize Program will provide a great opportunity for Omaha and Lincoln to become leaders in energy efficiency for the State of Nebraska and the entire Midwest.”
December 14, 2011
Below is the transcript of the full testimony Mayor Jim Suttle gave to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee’s Water Resources Subcommittee.
December 14, 2011
My name is Jim Suttle, I’ve been the Mayor of Omaha since 2009. I also served as Vice Chair of the Board and Executive Vice President for HDR Engineering, Inc, Public Works Director for Omaha, and I am, by profession, an engineer.
I am testifying on behalf of The U.S. Conference of Mayors where I serve as an active member on the Mayors Water Council and have been part of the discussions that led to EPA’s Integrated Planning Memorandum.
This background gives me a unique perspective to comment on the matter before this subcommittee today and I would like to thank the Chairman and this committee for inviting me.
I am here today to tell you why the Mayors of this nation are concerned about the rising costs of water and wastewater infrastructure, what we hope EPA’s memo will address, and the fact that we need Congressional oversight to ensure that this process works.
We need true partners with EPA and Congress to ensure that this plan achieves what the Mayors have asked for – a flexible and cost-efficient way to achieve Clean Water Goals in a reasonable and pragmatic matter.
(more…)